Translate

Monday, October 14, 2013

Eliza's Marinara Sauce

Be a sauce snob and never
buy Prego or Ragu again.
*This recipe was derived from my 90 year old Italian grandmother living in Brooklyn. 
She da BOMB. Love you G-ma.

Recipe:

1 28 ounce can CRUSHED tomato (not stewed, not sauce, not anything else)
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic finely chopped (or 1 tsp garlic powder)
1 Tbsp dry oregano
pinch red pepper flakes
10 leaves (handful) fresh basil chopped (or 1 Tbsp dry oregano)
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil and sautee garlic until slightly golden.  Add all other ingredients and simmer for 30 mins (or don't simmer at all).  (If using garlic powder, still add the olive oil).

Other useful tips:
  • I almost always triple the recipe and store any extra in a container in the fridge.  It lasts for a couple weeks. And if I don't get to use it quick enough, I just throw the extra in soup, or chili, etc.
  • This is a catch all base for tons of recipes.  Add meatballs and you are mom of the year. (Melt in your mouth meatballs recipe here).
  • Try chopping up spinach and adding it to the sauce.
  • When I use this for pizza sauce I don't even heat it at all.  I just throw it together in a pot cold and put it on my dough. (Totally perfect dough recipe here).
  • I thought I had tons more tips....hmm, drawing a blank.  Enjoy your sauce.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment